Kick off your week with a healthy dinner full of fresh ingredients and flavors, all while skipping the meat. The key to a successful Meatless Monday dinner is feeling satisfied by still including a protein source. By introducing more sustainable foods to your weekly diet, Meatless Monday will improve personal health and make the world a little greener. Check out www.meatlessmonday.com for more information on the amazing benefits and how doing this just once a week can impact you and your family.
Get ready to celebrate National Waffle Day today with delicious Spiced Mascarpone Buttermilk Waffles! This delicious twist on classic waffles will be the perfect centerpiece for a Monday night “Brinner” (ya know, breakfast for dinner). Tonight is the night to prepare these soft, pillowy buttermilk waffles amped up with mascarpone cheese and cinnamon, finished by a decadent spiced maple mascarpone syrup, fresh berries, and mascarpone cheese scrambled eggs!
If you haven’t had the chance to taste or cook with mascarpone cheese, now is the time to start! This versatile light and sweet Italian cream cheese is an amazing substitute for butter, has fewer calories than butter, and gives a wonderful texture to baked goods and breads.
I use a basic boxed waffle mix consisting of flour, sugar, and a leavening agent to take out a few steps of having to measure out baking powder and other ingredients. Instead of adding water or milk, eggs, and melted butter, I add buttermilk with the eggs and melted mascarpone in place of the butter. I make the waffles even more unique by adding a little extra brown sugar for sweetness, pure vanilla extract, and cinnamon and all spice for flavor.
Instead of just topping the waffles with basic warmed maple syrup and butter, I microwave the maple syrup with a little bit of the mascarpone cheese and cinnamon to create a delicious sauce!
To get some much-needed protein into this meal without having to fry bacon or sausage, I add delicious eggs scrambled with the same mascarpone cheese. Eggs are one of the quickest, easiest proteins to prepare, and these scrambled eggs achieve a silky texture and unique flavor! Breakfast foods taste great any time of day, and this recipe is sure to impress!
Let’s start making these fluffy waffles!
Spiced Mascarpone Buttermilk Waffles with Cinnamon Mascarpone Syrup
- 2 c. Basic waffle mix
- 1½ c. Buttermilk
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tbsp. Mascarpone cheese, melted
- 1 tsp. Pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. All spice (ground)
- ½ c. Maple syrup
- ¼ c. Mascarpone cheese*
- ¼ tsp. Cinnamon*
- 1 c. Fresh strawberries
- 1 c. Fresh blueberries
- Fresh mint for garnish
*These ingredients are for the syrup topping.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the waffle mix, ½ teaspoon of cinnamon, and all spice. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, 2 tablespoons of melted mascarpone cheese, and vanilla extract.
- Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk simultaneously until batter comes together and any lumps are gone. Do not over-mix or continue to mix once it comes together.
- Heat waffle iron and spray with a small amount of nonstick cooking spray when ready to pour batter. Pour batter into hot waffle iron and cook for 3-4 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the waffle.
- While waffles are cooking, mix the ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon into ¼ cup of mascarpone cheese in a small bowl, pour in ½ cup of maple syrup, and microwave for 1 minute. Stir with a spoon after heating, and it is ready to pour over waffles.
- Top the finished waffles with fresh sliced strawberries and whole blueberries, pour over the spiced maple mascarpone syrup, and serve scrambled eggs on the side. Feel free to garnish with fresh mint (it tastes great with the berries) and enjoy!
Mascarpone Scrambled Eggs
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp. Mascarpone cheese, melted
- Nonstick cooking spray or ½ tbsp. Butter
- ¼ tsp. Sea salt
- ¼ tsp. Black Pepper
- Crack the eggs into a bowl. Melt mascarpone cheese and add it into the bowl with the eggs. Mix together with a fork. Add the salt and pepper and mix with fork one more time.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat for 1-2 minutes. Spray pan with a small amount of nonstick cooking spray or melt butter in pan and then pour in egg/mascarpone mixture.
- Continue to stir and fold eggs as they cook using a spatula made for high heat cooking (so it doesn’t melt). This will make them have a silky, fluffy texture.
- When eggs are done cooking (this will be very fast, only a couple of minutes), top them with a tiny dollop of more mascarpone cheese instead of butter and serve along with the waffles or your favorite recipe! Enjoy!
I hope your family loves this spiced waffle and mascarpone themed breakfast for dinner and I can’t wait to see you next Monday for another installment of Meatless Monday!
Recipe and Images by Stacie Morgan