Welcome to Direct Your Dining! This cooking series will introduce you to energy efficient recipes full of tips to keep your meals delicious without using every appliance in the kitchen. Preparing recipes with energy efficiency in mind at least once a week will make cooking a little easier, and may even help reduce your monthly electricity bill. Check in every week for a new recipe full of flavor and creativity that will surely impress your friends and family.
Have you made it almost to the end of January without fulfilling an indulgent pizza craving that might cause you to break your healthy eating resolutions for the New Year? If so, get ready for a yummy, low-fat, and high-protein recipe you can cook in only 10 minutes!
This week’s flatbread dish is easy to make, efficient with your time and energy use, and packs a lot of flavor into a lighter version of pizza. It features rotisserie chicken breast meat, juicy pineapples, fresh vegetables, a little shredded cheese, and a delicious teriyaki barbecue sauce that is easy to make! With all these toppings, you won’t need excessive amounts of cheese, which in turn lets the cheese you do use on the flatbread heat up and brown faster.
A typical homemade teriyaki inspired sauce combines sugar, a little rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, pineapple juice, garlic powder, red bell peppers, and black pepper. By using the honey barbecue sauce as the base, you’re already getting the vinegar and sweetener, and the short time in the microwave prevents the sauce from becoming runny, so it’s a near-perfect dish.
I love the sliced red bell peppers as a fresh vegetable topping, as it adds flavor and a pop of color. And when you grab a whole rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, you’re saving energy by not baking or grilling your own chicken, and you’re definitely skipping the frozen chicken breast meat commonly used by delivery pizza chains.
You only need about ¾ of the white chicken breast meat to top the three pieces of flatbread you usually find in a package of Naan. You can then save the remaining legs, wings, and breast meat for other recipes, including a simple dinner of microwave steamed vegetables and rice the next night.
Teriyaki BBQ Chicken Flatbread
Ingredients (Makes 3 servings):
- 3 Pieces of Naan
- 1 ½ Rotisserie chicken breasts, diced into small cubes
- ½ c. Pineapple tidbits (from can)
- ½ Red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ¼ Small red onion, diced fine
- 2 tbsp. Chopped fresh cilantro (1/2 tbsp. for garnish at end)
- 1 ½ tbsp. Sliced green onions (1/2 tbsp. per flatbread)
- ½ c. Shredded gouda cheese
- ½ c. Shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ c. Honey barbecue sauce (store-bought, thicker consistency preferred)
- ½ tbsp. Soy sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp. Pineapple juice (from canned tidbits)
- ¼ tsp. Garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. Black pepper
1) Prepare the ingredients as directed above.
2) Remove the breast meat from the chicken, and then the skin from the chicken. Cut it into small cubes. Save the rest of the chicken for other recipes.
3) Combine the barbecue sauce, soy sauce, pineapple juice, garlic powder, and black pepper in a microwave safe bowl. Stir until an even consistency. Microwave for 1 minute. Stir again.
5) Place the flatbread pieces on a pizza sheet and spread an even amount of sauce on each flatbread, making sure to cover the available space completely.
6) Place an even amount of chicken and pineapple tidbits on top of the sauce.
7) Sprinkle both cheeses evenly on each flatbread.
8) Top each flatbread with the red onions, green onions, pepper slices, and cilantro.
9) Bake at 415°F (212.8°C) for 12 minutes or until the edges are crispy and cheese is bubbly.
Check back in every week for more Direct Your Dining recipes to help reduce your energy use in the kitchen while getting creative with delicious dishes!
Recipe and Images by Stacie Morgan