The Direct Energy Wellness series is designed to help you establish and maintain healthy living habits in the workplace. Our wellness experts will introduce you to a range of tips to keep your body and mind in tip-top shape – including exercises you can do at your desk!
As the new adage goes, “Sitting is the new smoking.”
Even as a certified wellness professional, I too experience the daily struggles of sitting at your desk without getting up for hours on end. But I have good news! There are moves you can use throughout the day to stay active and healthy without too big of an interruption to your work!
Follow the steps below to get some activity and keep those hips loose. This exercise will help improve your posture and blood flow.
- Stand up from your desk.
- Place the trash can to the right of your right leg.
- Have both feet shoulder width apart flat on the ground, abs held firm, chest tall, and head up.
- Slowly raise your right knee to your midsection, rotate your leg in a clockwise motion over the trash can (or to the right of your midsection), and lower your leg back to the ground and repeat.
- Repeat 20 times.
- Place the trash can to the left of your left leg.
- Repeat Step 3.
- Slowly raise your left knee to your midsection, rotate your left left in a counter-clockwise motion over the trash can (or to the left of your midsection), and lower your leg to the ground.
- Repeat Step 8 20 times.
While this exercise can be performed without a trash can, using one gives you a clear idea of how high your leg should be raised to receive the maximum benefit from the motion.
And if people give you weird look when you get out of your desk chair to perform this exercise, just give ‘em a smile and encourage them to join you!