Watch out for winter’s silent killer!

Winter’s silent killer, carbon monoxide, is a deadly, odorless and colorless gas. It can seep into a home without its residents even knowing. It does so through the incorrect use of gas stoves, furnaces, fireplaces, generators or cars left running in an attached garage.

Although detecting carbon monoxide without a CO alarm is impossible, there are preventive measures and warning signs everyone should know.

Preventive measures:

  • Never use a gas oven or stove for heating.
  • Never use a charcoal or barbeque grill or burn charcoal inside.
  • Have your chimneys checked and cleaned yearly to ensure proper ventilation.
  • Never patch a vent pipe with tape.
  • Never use a generator inside and never place a generator near a window, door or vent when outside.

Warning signs of CO poisoning:

  • headaches
  • dizziness
  • confusion
  • weakness
  • nausea and vomiting
  • chest pain

Proper furnace maintenance, installing a CO alarm, abiding by these preventive measures and being aware of CO poisoning warning signs can all help keep winter’s silent killer at bay.

Thank you Flickr user Andreas for this awesome photo!