- Build an emergency kit, including non-perishable food supplies, a first-aid kit, a battery-powered radio, flashlights and extra batteries.
- Create a family communication plan, in case you’re not all together when the tornado hits.
- Conduct regular tornado drills.
If a tornado is predicted, do the following:
- If the building your in has a basement, go there immediately. If there is not a basement, go to the building’s lowest level and try to get as close to the center of the building as possible, staying away from windows.
- Try to avoid areas with large rooms and wide-span roofs.
- If you’re in a vehicle, try to find a nearby shelter. If none exists, stay in your car with your seatbelt buckled, put your head below the widows and cover yourself with a blanket or coat, to avoid flying debris. Avoid seeking shelter below bridges.