Happy Thanksgiving from Direct Energy! We’d like to take this time to thank all of our customers for being part of the Direct Energy family.
Ask most Americans about how Thanksgiving originated and they’ll probably tell you a story that involves pilgrims and Native Americans sharing a meal in Plymouth. What they may not know is that according to facts.randomhistory.com, some researchers think the “first Thanksgiving in America actually occurred in 1541, when Francisco Vasquez de Coronado and his expedition held a thanksgiving celebration in Palo Duro Canyon in the Texas Panhandle.” It turns out that there are many more unknown facts about the American holiday. Here are some facts you may enjoy from todayifoundout.com:
- The date of Thanksgiving was once changed to try to boost the economy. President FDR moved the traditional date from the last Thursday in November to the second to last Thursday in 1939 till 1941 to extend the Christmas shopping season by a week.
- 91% of Americans eat turkey on Thanksgiving
- Pilgrims originally got their name from William Bradford’s (a Governor in 1621) “Of Plymouth Plantation”.
- Only half of the people on the Mayflower were Pilgrims – the rest were called “strangers”, people hitching a ride to the new world.
- Long before the Pilgrims, native Hawaiians celebrated the longest thanksgiving in the world—Makahiki, which lasted four months, approximately from November through February. During this time, both work and war were forbidden (from facts.radomhistory.com).
We hope that all of our wonderful customers enjoy a Happy Thanksgiving with their friends and families.