It’s the Holiday season, and for many families that means it’s family road trip time. Often times what begins as a harmonious trip can quickly take a turn resulting in yelling, crying, or a loss of blood. An easy way to keep the peace during your next road trip is to plan some fun, family activities to keep everyone occupied and less likely to declare war. Here are some activities that my family regularly enjoys.
Classic Car Games
- Twenty Questions – One player thinks of a famous person, place, or thing, and the rest of the players have 20 “yes or no “questions to ask to try to figure out the correct guess. The person who guesses correctly thinks of the new thing.
- Alphabet Game – Players compete to find and call out the entire alphabet, one letter at a time, located on signs, license plates, etc.
- I Spy – A player “spies” an object and says its color, for example, “I spy something purple”. The rest of the players then take turns guessing the mystery object. The winner who “spies” the object in question becomes the next “Spy.”
FREE Printable Games (from Mom’s Minivan)
- License plate bingo – Play bingo with cards that have pictures of objects you’ll see along the way.
- Travel Scavenger Hunt – Hunt for the items on each printable sheet as you travel.
- Battleships – Turns out there’s a paper form for the ever classic Battleship game.
- License Plate Game – Print out a list of all 50 states and compete to see who can find license plates for all of them.
- Activity Pages – Print out a mini-booklet filled with 22 word games, puzzles and mazes for free from Family Education.
- How Much Farther – answer that age old question “are we there yet?” with this interactive model. You can show how far you’ve come and how much longer you have to go.
Minivan Interior on Family Road Trip image courtesy of thomas pix.